Gouache Paint and Photo Collage
Without fungi, we would not exist.
In this fantastic web of life, fungi work diligently behind the scenes to support all life. Fungi take many forms; from the unicellular yeast fermenting beer, to microscopic creatures living inside trees to the button mushroom in your salad. Typically linked to death and decay, many people turn their nose up at the thought of lowly mushrooms. However, these organisms are nothing short of a miracle! They are hardly acknowledged as worthy of study and largely misunderstood, but we’re gradually starting to see just how vast their talents are. Among a great many more feats, here are a few of the superpowers of fungi!
· Most healthy plants rely on bonds with fungi.
· In the evolutionary chain fungi were crucial to help plants evolve from water to land, which paved the way for land dwelling mammals.
· Fungi make up a large mass of our living soil.
· Like the synapses of a brain, they connect forest ecosystems below the surface.
· Many mushrooms carry potent nutrients and medicines.
· Fungi are prime decomposers and are capable of breaking down seemingly anything into their basic building blocks! This is essential, not only to assure future access to nutrients, but also to clear toxins in the environment.
Danielle is enthralled by fungi. As an apprenticing herbalist, she is well versed in their medicinal benefits. As a self-lead student she has equally immersed herself in their biology, natural history and innovative potentials. After years of studies, she was called to express this fascination in a painting. Thus was born Myco Wisdom with its companion book to guide viewers into this rich world.
“Art can offer a gateway to education and a fresh lens to the world in which we live.
Life Cycle of the Amanita Cesarea
Fungal Diversity 1
Fungal Diversity 2
Film still from the Cosmos of Mushrooms documentary in the making.